Monday, November 29, 2010

Entertainment IS optional

Entertainment.....This is a topic that I have thought A LOT about over the past few years and more so over the past few months.  We currently have TV with very basic progamming.  We have very few things we actually watch.  Some of those things are I Love Lucy, 19 Kids and Counting, and Andy Griffin. 

Why did I decide to write about entertainment because some things are bothering me about how "Christians" view entertainment and after reading another blog post on Harry Potter I felt compelled to share my thoughts.  We have become so slack and numb to sin that we watch it on TV without another thought that we are watching some of the things that sent Jesus to the cross.  One question to ask ourselves is if Jesus Christ were here would I watch or read this garbage, would I invite Him to attend this movie with me....because guess what....He's already there.  Another question to ask is if this were going on right outside my window would I stand there and watch or would I close the blinds.

I know for a fact that most Christians would never let two individuals have sexual relations outside their front window and watch but we actually record it on our DVR's and let it into our living rooms.  We wouldn't stand and watch someone kill someone else we'd close those blinds quick, yet we watch this without a blink of the eye on our TV. 

The immodesty on TV is horrible. IF it's not fitting to wear to the "church building" it's not fit to wear at all. The language...well would you allow someone to come into your home and use the words they use...I sure hope not.  The witchcraft/sorcery  is another issue I think we should all take a look at what God has to say about these issues:
2 Chron 33:6
"He made his sons pass through the fire in the valley of Ben-hinnom; and he practiced witchcraft, used divination, practiced sorcery and dealt with mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking Him to anger." 

Deut 18:10
"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer"
 

 Gal 5:19-21 
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,  envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Romans 1:28-32
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.


Just by looking at Gal 5:19-21and Romans 1:28-32 I think we can see listed many of the things we endorse by watching them on TV.  IF we are watching TV shows with adultery, fornication, sorcery, hatred, jealousies, selfish ambitions, dissensions, envy, murders, or drunken people then I say we are violating God's Word. Pay special attention to verse 32 in Acts...  that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.  I can say there are many shows that I can think of just by seeing commercials that fit into the things mentioned in this verse: Desperate Housewives, Sister Wives and CSI.
I challenge you to really think about the things you are viewing and/or reading and make sure you're "NOT WATCHING THOSE THINGS WHICH SENT JESUS TO THE CROSS."  If you are I beg you to stop and ask for forgiveness because we aren't promised the next minute and we will have to answer for our behavior.
There are options to help Christians keep the filth out of their homes such as the TV Guardian (which we have) and the clearplay (which I hope to purchase soon). And remember there is an off button and you can use it.
ENTERTAINMENT IS OPTIONAL FOLLOWING GOD'S WORD IS NOT!

As a man thinks in his heart, so is he (Prov. 23:7)  Think on things that are true, just, honest, pure, lovely, virtuous and praiseworthy (Phil. 4:8).  
IN CHRIST LOVE
Brandy

No comments:

Post a Comment